Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Hungry like the Wolf?

Even a man who is pure of heart
And says his prayers by night
May become a wolf
When the wolfsbane blooms
And the Autumn moon is bright

- old gypsy poem
Who doesn't enjoy a good scary movie? When Nancy and I were first dating I remember taking her to see "Urban Legend" in the cinema, just so she would cuddle up to me (also partly as revenge for her making me go see a God awful chick flick the week before). It was one of those movies with a lot of moments that made you jump, and it certainly had the desired effect (ha ha)!!!

When I was a kid I loved the old classic horror movies (and still do). They usually screened them on BBC2 late on Saturday night, and if I'd behaved (which sometimes happened) I was allowed to stay up and watch (these were the days before VCRs). I looked forward to these weekly treats - Universal's Lon Chaney Jr, Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff hamming it up, followed much later by Hammer's Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing

Chest-heaving buxom wenches who couldn't run away without falling over, cannon fodder peasantry who weren't much better and gypsies full of curses and ominous warnings (who looked nothing like the gypsies who would come knocking on our door selling pegs and good luck charms) were the order of the day.

So I was super excited when I found out they were remaking the Wolfman. The original 1941 movie (featuring yak-hair covered Lon Chaney Jr) was one of my favorites (especially as it was set in Wales), and I really hope they do a good job of the remake.

Here's a peak at the trailer - it looks like it could either be really really bad or really really good. I'm hoping for the latter. While it doesn't have the nostalgia I associate with the old black&white version, it does look suitably gothic.


No comments: