Thursday, September 3, 2009

Nocturnal Serenade

One of the "joys" of having a new baby in the house is the amount of time you spend up and about when you would otherwise be asleep. Nancy and I are definitely "slaves to the newcomer" - wandering around the house at 3am like something out of a George Romero movie. The other morning I finally hit the pillow just about half an hour before I was due to get up to go run, muttered "sod it", turned over "for five minutes" and woke up three hours later. That is one of the reasons I do most of my morning runs solo now.

While you do get used to it, the effects are cumulative and show themselves in unexpected ways. If you keep draining the battery without recharging it, sooner or later it will give out. Last weekend's 60k was a case in point.

Dylan is a highly efficient eating machine - kind of like the white shark of the baby world - and we have our work cut out keeping up with him.

But we have discovered some chinks in his armor.

The sound of the vacuum cleaner makes him sleepy, as does the new motor I got for my old hand-cranked pasta machine. So this evening I sat him down in his bouncy chair in the kitchen while I made some fettuccine, and within a few minutes he was asleep.

There are many cunning ways we have found to combat a 6-week old (though Gavin is far too wily to fall for (m)any of my tricks).

Nancy commented today that if I were a penguin I would be Skipper - I think she meant it in a good way!!!

No comments: