Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fortress of Solitude

I've been spoiled this summer. Not by the weather - it's been the hottest on record - but by all the friends I've had to run with. I've had company for virtually all my runs, and very welcome it's been. I don't think I would have run as much as I have without them. But I also think I've lost some of my mental edge.

Last season I did long run after long run by myself, and it turned me into a really tough little runner. That's something I need to recapture before Cactus Rose, so I'm gradually distancing myself from the usual groups I run with (bye bye Eeyore club) and doing more and more solo runs. I think the discipline of getting up at 4am for a long run by yourself is something I really need right now.

This morning I did a nice 12 miles by myself before my Round Rock Fit run. I started at 5am and headed out into the Country lanes - it was very humid after last night's rain, but I kept plugging away, kept up a consistent 8 to 8:30 pace, avoided the early morning redneck pickup trucks and finished strong. Then I took my group back out for a fast 5 miles, which left me at 17 for the day. I wanted to hit 20, and a fast buddy wanted to do a few more, so we set out again for another 3. We pushed each other and ran well under 8 minute miles. I was very pleased with my first 20 mile training run in who knows how long.

And actually I don't remember the last time I did a 20 mile training run (I think it was with Roger and Stephanie back in June), but I plan on doing at least 20 every Saturday from now until Cactus. And as a bonus I discovered I'm not sore in the slightest. In fact, as Monday is a holiday I plan on doing a triple header of long runs this weekend.

Which means I deserve a nice pizza tonight!!!

No comments: