Friday, July 25, 2008

Sourdough Waffles and Pushups

Now what in the world could possibly bring together sourdough waffles and pushups into a coherent and intelligent blog posting? Well, nothing. But if some vaguely entertaining incoherent rambling will satisfy you then read on.

First up, tonight marked the end of week 2 of the pushup challenge, and that meant it was time for another exhaustion test - how many pushups could I do in a row? A few weeks ago I managed 31 good form pushups and I thought I'd made some good progress since then, so I was looking forward to seeing how far I'd come. Well, I managed 60(!!!!) which keeps me well on track going into week 3. A hundred still seems a long way off though.

And on the flip side, it's Friday night which means it's time for the sourdough starter to rise from the dead (well, the fridge) and feed. Took it out, proofed it with a cup of flour and a cup of warm water and left it to reactivate. Last weekend I cobbled together a simple recipe for sourdough waffles which I really enjoyed, so I'm going to write it down before I forget it - and what better place to keep it than right here.

Ingredients
2 cups proofed sourdough starter (left overnight to activate)
1 extra large egg
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP sugar
1 tsp baking soda

Pour 2 cups of starter (make sure to leave enough behind for next time) into a bowl, add in the egg, oil, sugar and baking soda and stir well.

Cover loosely and let sit for 20-30 minutes

Heat your waffle iron and use the waffle batter as directed by your manufacturer (I have a Belgian waffle maker and this batch makes about 3 lots of waffles).

Serve with syrup, yogurt, strawberries or whatever floats your boat.

And finally, I downloaded a new song for the jukebox - "Sittin' at a Bar" by Rehab. Heard it on the radio while driving home last night and liked it. Don't really know why - if I did it would probably explain a lot :-)

No comments: