Saturday, July 19, 2008

Preparing for El Scorcho

Pushup Challenge: Week 2 Day 1
Plan
: 12, 12, 9, 7, at least 10
Actual : 12, 12, 9, 7, 32

Since I will be running most of the night I figured I'd get the pushup challenge out of the way this morning. Today's schedule looked to be easier than the last one, and it probably would have been if it hadn't been for my little boy sitting on my back for the first two sets. Now that makes a good 35lb difference that my arms are feeling right now.

The "son of the bitch" sourdough starter was at work again as I used it to make waffles for breakfast. Took it out of the fridge last night and proofed it. Success - they were delicious - very light and airy.

Right now I am sitting here alternating between gatorade and water in preparation for the 50k tonight. The race starts at midnight and it's going to be hot and sweaty so I need to be well hydrated. Quite why I scheduled a 50k race in the middle of my off-season I'm not sure (other than it sounded like fun and probably will be). We plan on leaving for Fort Worth around 5pm so at least I get a chance to take a nap this afternoon. Especially since we got an early wakeup call this morning as 6 hot air balloons were taking off from the school near our house. They set the dog barking like crazy but Gavin was delighted.

I am currently reading "The Best of Mystery" - a compilation of 63 short stories from Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. I am only 1/3 of the way through, but it's turning out to be a real hidden gem. Every story so far has been really good - just the right blend of suspense and twist. Standouts for me include Avram Davidson's "The Cost of Kent Castwell", Lawrence Block's "Pseudo Identity", Robert Colby's creepy "Voice in the Night" and the darkly comic "Never Shake a Family Tree" by Donald Westlake. There are several other compilations in the same series which I may have to check out.

No comments: