Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pushup Challenge : week 1 day 3

Plan : 15, 13, 10, 10, at least 15
Actual : 15, 13, 10, 10, 30

Got home late tonight and nearly forgot about the pushup challenge, but just finished off tonight's set to round out the first week. Managed a good 30 on the final set and felt much stronger. Maybe it's all in my head (or due to the alcohol I consumed tonight) since I'm only a week into it, but I think I can already tell a difference. If you add up all those sets, that's 78 pushups I did tonight!!!

This program is also spreading like the plague. I've now got my office mate started on it, and when I got home tonight my wife confessed she'd just finished week 1 day 1 (she managed a pretty impressive 20 "man pushups" on the initial test).

The reason I was home late was that I was out hobnobbing at a Central Texas user group meeting at Dona Emilia's downtown restaurant. Had a good time with a friendly bunch of folks and drank a goodly number of mojitos. Dang those things go down easy. For somebody as suspicious of authority as I am, I'm becoming increasingly corporate. I'm also a lot more outgoing than I used to be - how my younger self would laugh if he could see me now.

And speaking of corporate, I attended the "health and fitness" committee meeting the other day. It turns out they don't want me to assemble and coach a team to compete for the Governor's Cup, they expect me to assemble and coach a team to WIN the Governor's cup. They figure if myself and two other guys can nail down the long legs at a 6:45 average pace, we'll be well on track. Dang, I'd better start hitting the track - my best 10k hovers around the 45 minute mark and I'd have to cut a good 3 minutes off that to get close. Still, I've come up with a pretty aggressive and varied training program (including an 8 mile run on part of the old "Sweaty Twenty" course), so who knows.

And of course, if you know me you know that I often have trouble keeping my mouth shut. I suggested all kinds of ideas at the committee meeting and seem to have acquired a bad habit of creating work for myself.

That's why I try to steer clear of committee meetings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice work on the push ups! and well done to your wife too - 20 is 2 more than i managed in the initial test.

keep spreading the word. i'm hoping to retire on the earnings from the google ads :)

have a good weekend!

--steve
--www.hundredpushups.com
--www.runbulldogrun.com