Sunday, May 24, 2009

Breakfast Burritos and Bloody Good Runs

I really hit the running hard this holiday weekend. Saturday I did 15 miles of hills, yesterday 25 miles of hills, and this morning I enjoyed a very nice 11 miles around Stratford/Scenic Dr. That gives me 51 miles for the holiday weekend and takes me over 200 for the month. It's been a while since I went over that landmark.

I woke up this morning a little stiff courtesy of Ladera Norte, but this run was exactly what I needed to stretch the sore muscles out. And after the last few days the hills of Stratford Dr seemed very easy!!! I ran with a couple of road buddies who ensured we kept to a good pace, and we enjoyed a beautiful morning (though a little humid). The longer we went the better I felt and it was a good feeling to cruise through the last few miles while enjoying the company of friends, the effortless energy of a good rhythm and the feel of the pavement passing easily and swiftly beneath my feet.

When I got home I wanted something quick, so I cooked up one of my favorite runner's breakfasts. This thing can be made start-to-finish in less than 5 minutes and fills you up nicely, which makes it ideal when you're in a rush after a midweek early morning run.


Mark's Quick Breakfast Burrito (serves 1 hungry runner)

2 pieces extra lean turkey bacon
2 extra large eggs (can substitute egg whites)
Reduced fat cheddar cheese
Plain yogurt
1 8" tortilla

1. Microwave the bacon until crisp (about 1 minute 45 seconds).

2. While they're on the go, crack the 2 eggs into a small microwavable container and beat with a fork.

3. Microwave eggs for 45 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 45 seconds or until just set (note: this is absolutely the best way to cook scrambled eggs).

4. Microwave the tortilla for 30 seconds. While this is going, chop the eggs roughly with a fork.

5. Put the tortilla on a plate. Add the 2 pieces of bacon to the center, and top with the scrambled egg.

6. Add cheese and spoon yogurt (or sour cream or guacamole) over the top.

7. Fold up the bottom of the tortilla and wrap both sides around.

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a long time reader of your blog I thought you might be interested in a UK performance. A local lad to me has run from Otley to London - 218 miles in 45 hours. Puts my half marathon attempts to shame. His blog is www.run-to-london.blogspot.com/

Keep up the writing and running.

All the best
Bantam Paul

Jeff said...

Come Monday I've been running 11 years and have 1 200 mile month. You're an animal!!

Mark said...

Bantam Paul. Thanks for the link - that's really impressive. I'm looking forward to him posting his report.

Thanks Jeff - it's been a good running month for me. Lots of hills!!!