Saturday, November 6, 2010

The White Rock Diaries (week 2 of 5)

I'm very happy with the way that week 1 unfolded. I got in some quality runs at a very good pace, and cross trained really well. The plan for this week is to maintain consistency in pace, and to make Saturday's long run an effort run and keep under that 8 minute mile pace.

DateSaturday November 6th
Planam - 22 miles
pm - Yoga (1 hour)
Outcomeam - had a great run this morning, and did 22 miles in 2:54:22 (7:55 pace).  That translates to a 3:27 marathon (if I could hold that average for another 4.2 miles)!!!  The best part was that miles 15 thru 22 were my fastest.  The temperature was in the low 40s, and I really hope we get the same weather at White Rock.

pm - great hour of stretching.  Legs felt fine after this morning's run - I could tell because I enjoyed the chair poses.

DateSunday November 7th
Planam - 16 miles
pm - Hill repeats (optional)
Outcomeam - another cold morning.  Started out with 8 miles of downtown hills.  Managed to keep just under an 8 minute mile pace, and my legs felt fine after yesterday's 22 miles.  Joined up with Steve and Clea for the second 8 miles.

pm - I don't even know why I put these on the schedule, because let's face it - I'm never going to have the time to do them.  I did spend the afternoon cutting branches off our trees though.  Does that count as cross training?  It should.

DateMonday November 8th
Planam - Nothing
pm - abs workout followed by tabata
OutcomeOk, the abs workout was hard.  And I thought I was really good at core work!!! Did two sequences of 8 round tabata afterward - scored 19 on bicep curls and 20 on squats.  My arms felt like there was liquid lava flowing through them after the bicep curls - it was a great feeling.

Also played ride the horsie with Gavin and Dylan.  I was the horse.  Good times.

DateTuesday November 9th
Planam - 10 miles
pm - Plyometrics (1 hour)
Outcomeam - another perfect 55F morning, great for running.  Did 10 miles in 1:15:50 (7:35 pace).  Kind of a strange run - felt tired in parts, but then hit my stride and finished up the second half really strong.

pm - did a combination of kickboxing and plyometrics.  Nice change-up, though I think my legs (especially my quads) are going to be sore from all the jumping.

DateWednesday November 10th
Planam - 8 miles
pm - Bicycle trainer (30 minutes)
Outcomeam - it was a bit foggy this morning, but still mild (60F) and a great morning for running.  I did 8 miles in 1:03:41 (7:57 pace) and my legs just felt tired, though I was determined to stay under an 8:00 pace.  Maybe all the fast runs and cross training (hello plyometrics) I've been piling on this week are catching up with me.  I may need to rethink tomorrow's run as I want to ensure enough recovery for a good 23 miler on Saturday.

pm - busy evening.  Took Gavin to gymnastics, did his homework with him, made supper and managed to squeeze in 30 minutes on the bike trainer.  Damn, but I'm not much good on the bike.


DateThursday November 11th
Planam - 12 miles
pm - Bob Harper's Workout 2 (30 minutes)
Outcomeam - ok, Thursday morning runs are just not happening for me.  When I scheduled this knowing I had the day off work, I didn't take into consideration the fact that we still needed to make the school run, and that I ended up working anyway.  I may revise the next few weeks to remove the Thursday run.  Since I was feeling tired yesterday, the extra rest might do me good.

pm - this is just a flat out badass upper body workout.  I love it simply because I can outlast the guy on screen.  I plan on doing an easy-paced run in the morning to make up for the one I missed today.

DateFriday November 12th
Planam - Nothing
pm - Nothing
Outcomeam - 4:30am, 68F, wet and humid.  I met Caroline this morning for an easy 7 miles.  It felt good to run without constantly checking my pace - I didn't even take my Garmin.  Nice relaxed way to end the week.

No comments: