Friday, February 26, 2010

Little Time, Little Run, Little Rock

Well the Little Rock marathon is just over a week away, and I can safely say that I've never run so little in the build-up to one of these races. You may have noticed my mileage is pretty pathetic so far this year (especially compared to the 2000+ miles I ran in 2009), but I've been careful to manage my niggling foot injury. That seems to have paid dividends as it's doing a lot better, but while I've been doing some fast shorter distances I'm almost certainly lacking in the long distance endurance that regular 15-20 mile runs gives you. Oh well, we'll just get this one out of the way and then I'll have a good few months to build up to the El Scorcho 50k in July, and my main goal races next winter.

The good news is that I seem to have completely rediscovered my enthusiasm and enjoyment for running that has been largely absent since Cactus Rose. Maybe cutting back the mileage wasn't such a bad thing to do!!!

This has been a week in which I started counting calories to get down to my ideal running weight, and during that time I've dropped from 162lbs to 157 - that's 5lbs in 7 days!!! And I haven't made that many changes - mostly dumped my trail mix snacks and swapped out my lunchtime sandwiches for some chicken, Tuna or Greek salad. I found a really great ginger and sesame dressing from Maple Grove Farms in Vermont which is super yummy, and I've been loving it.

Of course, I've also worked out really hard this week on circuit training and yoga, paid my sweat equity on the bike trainer and wrestled Gavin (who is wiry, fast, strong and seems to think he is John Cena).

Baby Dylan also found his feet this week (yes, at 7 months) and has been giving me the run around. He likes to climb, and is almost "terminator-like" in his quest for the tv remote.

The dog is living in fear of him!!!

1 comment:

DavidH said...

This slow spring may be one of those blessings in disguise as you get ready for a big fall/winter.

You sound "hungry", and that is a good thing. :)

Good luck at Little Rock!