Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Understanding Gollum

Gollum carb-loading on fish at Bandera**

What do I have in common with J.R.R. Tolkein's Gollum? Well, on the surface hopefully nothing, but the answer is we're both missing rings. This morning I met Cheri and Dawn for a 6am Walnut Creek run. We had a good time, but somewhere along the trail I lost my wedding ring - I suspect it fell off my finger when I nearly took a tumble on the BMX loop. I went back to look for it after the sun came up, but couldn't find it - never really thought I would. It's my own fault - the ring has been loose for a long time and I kept meaning to take it in and have it adjusted but never did. I've worn it for the last 10 years and my finger feels really strange without it. Between that and being exceedingly clumsy (I nearly fell twice and have a fat ankle to show for it), I should have just stayed in bed this morning.

On the bright side, I went back to Walnut Creek this afternoon with Nancy and Gavin. It had turned into a beautiful day and we walked the BMX loop on the off-chance we would find the ring. We didn't, but Gavin really enjoyed being out in the woods with us. We ran up and down the mountain bike hills, petted a cat we found, played with sticks and had a great time. At the end of the day, that matters a lot more than losing a ring.

Merry Christmas everyone.


** not really

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shame about the ring. I know I'd be mad if I lost mine.

Maybe you can take a small metal detector with you next time :) I'm sure Gavin would have fun with that!

Merry Christmas to you too!

--Steve