Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Laughter - a Great Core Workout

Pushup Challenge : week 5 day 1
Plan : 40, 32, 30, 25, at least 40
Actual : 40, 32, 30, 25, 40

I recently DVRed a yoga show on PBS called "Wai Lana Yoga" and tried it out this evening. To be fair, let me say first up that it was a very good stretching routine (something I could definitely do more of) and I found some of the positions (especially the lotus) challenging. Having said that, part of the difficulty stemmed from the fact that I was shaking with laughter most of the way through. Picture the scene - camera fades in on tropical Hawaiian beach where we find bizarre pseudo-hippy yoga yoda lady, complete with comedy voice and wearing some kind of baggy clown jumpsuit - WTF???? Half way through we fade to fish swimming peacefully and when we get back to bliss beach, she's doing a happy dance. Oh, manna from heaven for this cynical Brit. I can't take it any more. Unable to stop laughing, my abs haven't been this sore in years. Any more of this and I'll have a six pack to rival the one in my fridge.

Classic stuff.

Once I'd recovered from that I had a crack at week 5 of the pushup challenge. Wow, this program has ratcheted up suddenly. I forced myself to grit out the final 40 and just about made it, but it was close. 167 pushups tonight - I think this is going to be a hard week.

We had our Round Rock Fit coaches meeting last night at the Main Street Grill, an upscale restaurant in downtown Round Rock. Wow, that place serves great food. It is located in an old bank and one of the tables is actually inside the old vault - very cool. There were about 15 of us in the group and we shared a whole bunch of yummy appetizers. We filled out and signed all the required paperwork and then socialized. I haven't seen some of these folks since marathon day back in February and it was great to catch up with old friends over a few glasses of red wine. I can't believe the new Round Rock Fit season starts up again in less than two weeks. Happy days.

No comments: