Sunday, January 31, 2010

Keeping it Going

This weekend was all about getting my miles in while testing out my injured foot. I've refrained from running all week, so I was hopeful it would settle down. I did an 8 miler on Saturday at a sub-8 minute pace and didn't feel it until the last two miles, so that was good. Then this afternoon I met some friends to do a steady 10 miles of hills around Ladera Norte. While I was fine on the uphills and flats, the steep downhills killed me. I really need to carefully manage this injury because it's derailing my plans to run a fast marathon at Little Rock.

I managed 116 running miles this month, much less than the 200+ miles I regularly churned out last year, but that's ok - I'll get there.

Next weekend's going to be interesting and super busy. First up I'm going to be camping outside Austin ISD overnight on Friday to get a transfer request in for Gavin (he starts school in August). From there I'll drive up to Round Rock to take my road group on their last coached weekend run of the season and wish them all the best (they're training for the Austin marathon).

But I'll need to get home early because I found out a few days ago that BBC America will be showing the England vs Wales rugby international live on Saturday morning. For Welsh rugby fans this is one of the biggest games of the year, so I'm really happy to be able to watch it.

And as soon as it finishes I'm going to jump in the car and drive up to Huntsville (about 3 hours away) to pace a friend throughout the night for the last 40 miles of his first 100 mile trail race. I'm looking forward to it and am honored to be able to help him achieve this amazing goal. We'll have a long time to chat and catch up.

Sunday I'll drive home, fall into bed and sleep!!!

No comments: