Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Beast Cometh

If you're going to try, go all the way
There is no other feeling like that
You will be alone with the Gods
And the nights will flame with fire.

- Charles Bukowski

The other night I watched an episode of Biggest Loser where they had a slice of chocolate cake that they claimed contained 1000 calories. My first thought was "wow, I should take that to Cactus Rose with me".

Yes, I'm starting to focus in on the Cactus Rose 100 miler which is now only 10 days away. Sure I'm running the Frankenthon marathon this weekend, but I've found myself already looking past it to the big bad wolf lurking just around the corner.

It's been a tough summer with the record heat and a new baby. I haven't really put in the long miles I would have liked, my running has been very up and down and I am not where I hoped to be going into the race. But I suspected that would be the case back when I signed up so I'm just going to suck it up and get on with it.

Besides, I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge - the uncertainty, the fear of failure that drives you on. Back in my rugby days I always had my best games against the big teams because the extra challenge gave me an edge. Sometimes it's good to run scared and I haven't had a race motivate me quite this much since Rocky Raccoon last February. Back then I spent the whole week prior to the race getting my head right so it's time to unleash my secret weapon and get my mental game going.

One thing I did that worked really well for me at Rocky was to set an ambitious time goal which I nailed almost to the minute. I've set myself a similarly ambitious time goal for this beast and worked out what times I need to hit on each loop in order to make that goal. At the very least it'll keep my mind occupied

And like Rocky Raccoon I'll seal it in an envelope and not tell anyone what it is beforehand.

After all, you can't be too superstitious on Halloween night!!!

1 comment:

Ryan V. said...

Kick ass out there, amigo. I'll be thinking of you.