Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Running

Triple digit heat + humidity + hills = running sucks!!!

Summer running is like walking a tightrope. On the one hand I need to keep my mileage up (and I may still be on track for another 200 mile month), but on the other running in this heat takes a lot out of you, and staggering from one soaking run to another just leaves you drained. I'm trying to be smart about my runs and build enough recovery time between them, but it's not always easy. Yesterday was a case in point - I'd planned on getting up to go run, but I felt so exhausted that I just stayed in bed. And I think it did me the world of good.

Every year it's the same. During the winter I work on speed and stuff my belt full of fast runs and PRs. Come the summer, pace is out the window and my runs are reduced to survival. Where did all my speed and fitness go? Did I really run 100 miles a few months back? Of course I know the answer, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I did 10 miles of hills tonight - half on trail and half on road. I had planned to do 10 on the road, but cut it down to 5 because it was hot as hell and I didn't think I had enough water to get me through (and what I did have was warm by the time I'd run a mile). I'd like to think I'm getting smarter in my old age, but I suspect the reality is that I was just tired.

Still, at least I'm not as bad as last year when I went several weeks dreaming about drinking icy water every night.

Well, not yet anyway!!!

2 comments:

johntsharp said...

Wow, I thought it was just me. I have been feeling burn out and tired for the last two weeks. I guess it is just the heat.

I am trying to keep my house at 80 degrees, hopefully that will help.

Mark said...

My 8-month pregnant wife growls at me every time I get anywhere near the AC control, so that tactic ain't gonna work for me :-)