Monday, June 22, 2009

Growing an Avocado Tree

Avocado is a great food for ultrarunners, and I happen to be on an avocado kick at the moment. I don't know why but I'm suddenly addicted to the feisty green fruit and have been finding ways to include it on virtually everything I'm cooking - sandwiches, hamburgers, salad, pizza, even mixed with lemon juice and spread on toast - hell, I would add it to my beer if I could figure out how. Maybe it's a pregnancy thing (I can see Nancy roll her eyes when she reads this)?!!! Creamy, yummy and delicious - what's there not to like?

So when I came across a great little website that shows you how to grow an avocado tree from the pit I was absurdly excited. What a fun experiment for me and Gavin to do together.

And that is why I have an avocado pit suspended by toothpicks over a glass of water on the windowsill. Gavin keeps coming by to check on it - I think he's expecting it to sprout immediately.

Maybe I'll go make some guacamole while we wait :-)

1 comment:

zagbag said...

I've grown several trees over the years. They are nice looking trees and fairly hardy expect for freezes but they will most likely never bear fruit. You have to get a tree or graft from another source to get fruit to bear. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry!