Friday, June 20, 2008

Where's the Creek in Walnut???

We had the day off yesterday and made the most of it. I started out with an early run at Walnut Creek, doing hill repeats on Endo Valley. I was surprised to get to the main creek crossing and discover there was no water in it!!! Wow, I guess we need some rain.

The run was casual and relaxed - I haven't run since Ken's on Sunday and needed to. I jogged slowly to and from the hill, hit the repeats hard and took some recovery water breaks between them. Endo Valley is perfect to run hill repeats. It is not very long - probably 1/4 mile loop at most - but it starts with a rocky downhill, modulates into some nice shaded flats, finishes off with a decent climb and then you're back to the start. That's one of the things I like about Walnut Creek - it has many self contained loops to do things like hill repeats, speed drills and to practice switchbacks.

Finished my run and headed home to pick up Nancy and Gavin to go swimming. On the way I saw a rather strange sight - two police motorcyclists driving down Braker side by side holding hands. Austin can be a very strange place.

We headed back to Walnut Creek and spent an entertaining hour or so in the pool. Gavin is getting really good at kicking his feet and moving himself around in the water, and we had a great time. I got "told off" by the lifeguard for bouncing up and down in the pool with Gavin on my shoulders, much to Nancy's amusement.

We stopped off for lunch at ViVis - a little chinese restaurant we enjoy (they do some great sesame chicken on their lunch specials) and then headed home for a nap. Spent some time at amazon.com downloading new mp3s for my jukebox. Got a few Weezer songs ("Pork and Beans" and "The Greatest Man who ever Lived"), "Handlebars" by the Flobots ("I can ride my bike with no handlebars"), and "Mercy" - the new Duffy single (she's a cute soul singer from Wales - kind of like Amy Winehouse without all the craziness).

And finally, good news for you Doctor Who and Torchwood fans out there. Definitive proof that Wales is being visited by aliens. Must be the rift.

No comments: