Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hot Saints

I'm gonna keep this posting short because I can barely stay awake. Nancy completed the Rogue Summer Trail Series this morning with a finish in the third and final 30k - "the Saint" - at St Stephens. I'm glad I got the chance to crew for her and our friend Celeste. She struggled a little on the last loop but showed a lot of guts to pull through and earn her series finisher's shirt and I am very proud of her. It was humid and muggy - one of those days where I was glad I was volunteering rather than running. It was a busy weekend for me. I helped with packet stuffing and pickup, and filled in as needed during the race, but my main contribution was in course marking and teardown and raceday setup.

We marked the course on Saturday afternoon. It was hot work and we hammered in a lot of stakes with arrow signs and "wrong ways". I think we did a pretty good job of idiot-proofing the course. A group of us went to NXNW for supper and a few cold beers afterwards where we enjoyed a great meal and a never-ending supply of funny stories and anecdotes. We didn't stay too late because we had a really early start this morning. I've enjoyed working these races throughout the summer - I've gotten to know a lot of people and had mucho fun along the way. Deciding to take up trail running is one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

End of post - I'm going to bed.

No comments: