Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Up in the Air

I booked my flights to Denver yesterday.  I start my new job next month, and I'm heading up to Colorado for the first week.  I made sure to book a flight leaving Austin super early on Sunday morning so I will have an entire day to do some exploring before heading into the city.

I'm excited - yesterday I took the afternoon off and accompanied one of my future co-workers to a client demo.  It was the first time in over a decade that I've worn a suit (a new pin stripe job), a shirt I'd actually ironed and my smart Springbok rugby tie.  I was dead posh - regular readers would not have recognized me.  The guy who gave the demo is the same guy who recommended me to the company in the first place, and afterwards we went for coffee and a chat.  I am looking forward to working with him.

Back on the running front (where I am my usual scruffy self) not much is happening.  I was full of good intentions to get up early and run midweek but Dylan has been very restless, waking up numerous times a night, and I have slept through most of my early morning alarm calls (sometimes even unintentionally).  I fell asleep in Gavin's bed while reading him a bedtime story the other night and woke up about 3am wondering where I was.  Gavin was quite happy to have daddy spend the night and had quietly and carefully turned the light out and cuddled himself in with me.

The other reason I haven't been good at getting up in the mornings is that I've been staying up late at night reading a super interesting book called "Game Change".  It's a behind-the-scenes look at the 2008 presidential election campaigns and is a really good read, with lots of nitty-gritty mixed in with some juicy scandals.  Very entertaining.

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting Clea for an early run, so I know when my alarm goes off I have to get up.  It seems that meeting folks is the only thing that gets me out of bed to run these days, but that's the benefit of being in my down-season and not having any races coming up.  My next goal race is not until November (the San Antonio marathon).

Lots of things happening in the Welsh Farmer's garden - more pictures coming soon.

No comments: