Thursday, March 31, 2011

Last Day


Today was my last day at work, as I fly to Denver on Sunday for my new job.  I've been in my little office for 10 years, and it was kind of strange to realize this was the last time I'd be there.  At various points throughout life you make decisions that result in transitions or segueways from one phase of your life to another, and this is definitely one of them.

This morning one of the project managers brought in a wonderful collection of fruit bowls and cranberry muffins for me.  She had made it all herself that morning, with ruby red grapefruits, pineapples, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, pine nuts and sprigs of fresh mint.  She had even gotten flowers from her garden to use as accents.  It was very good and I was very touched.  I had to take a picture before I let anyone near it.

All week I've been taken out to lunch by different people I've worked with, and today I was taken to the Carillon - a super posh restaurant close to the University of Texas.  They have a wonderful salad buffet, with quinoa, roasted squash, soup, fresh bread and all manner of cold cuts.  The tiramisu dessert was just to die for.

I've had people coming by all day to say goodbye, hug me and tell me they wished I was staying.  There were even some tears.  It's been a great place to work, and the last week has made me realize how many friends I've got there, and I'm going to miss them (though I'm also looking forward to the challenge of my new job).

The Crazy Banana

And while cleaning out my desk, I came across this banana that had been stuck in the back of a drawer for at least 5 year, and probably closer to 10.  In fact it may even pre-date me.  It was completely dehydrated, shriveled and rock hard.  I tapped it on the table a few times and it had completely petrified - very cool.  Everyone who came to say goodbye got introduced to it, and it got whisked off on a whirlwind tour of the neighboring offices where it was suitably admired.

I even took it home for Gavin to see.  He was very impressed.  I have now deposited it in the bin before he decided to try eating it.

No comments: