Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Doors

Here's the thing about doors - when one closes another one tends to open. And when you come right down to it, life is nothing more than a series of doors we either close, ignore or choose to go through.

There is a point to this rambling - please bear with me.

In my last post I alluded to the fact that the recent layoffs at work didn't really worry me. The reason for that was that I'd already been headhunted for another job.  That's happened quite a bit in the last year, but this one was different.  For one thing they'd caught me at the right time - I was already seriously thinking about a change - and for another, I knew from my research that this was a small company of people who were recognized experts in their field.  They handpicked people from across the country, and it was really an honor to be approached by them.

So two telephone interviews, a webex and a lunch meeting later, I had a decision to make.  Do I stay where I am in my comfort zone, or make the leap and go for it?  They were looking for somebody who was strong technically, but also able to communicate well.  I knew I checked both boxes and that I'd aced the interviews.  Sure enough an offer quickly followed.

I decided to go for it, so today I handed in my notice at work.  It wasn't an easy decision - I've worked in my current building for 10 years, made a lot of friends and built up a considerable amount of goodwill in that time.  But I also knew I would kick myself if I let this opportunity pass by.

So I start my new job at the beginning of April.  The company is based in Colorado, but I will be working remotely from Austin, with some travel to client sites around the country.  It's a definite change in lifestyle, but I am very self reliant, independent and proactive, and I think I have what it takes to really excel.  The best part is that I can still drive downtown with Nancy and the boys a few mornings a week.  I'll just take my bike to walk Gavin to school, and then cycle down to Whole Foods, a coffee shop or the library with my laptop and work from there.

Exciting times are afoot.

1 comment:

Jeff Farrell said...

Congratulations Mark....you're going to ROCK the new job!!