Friday, April 9, 2010

The Love Life of Oak

"Hey there big boy"!!!

Much as I would hate to dampen the romantic inclinations of oak trees, I think it's high time they stopped being so frisky and showering us with copious amounts of yellow pollen. I hardly ever get problems with allergies (unless you count my horrendous reaction to fireants - the little buggers), but I've felt sick as a dog ever since I mowed my yard on Tuesday - I've had scratchy eyes, sneezing, coughing, absolutely no desire to workout or run, and Gavin's bedtime stories (currently "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" - one of my favorites) have been read in a comedy nasal voice.

But I'm glad it's Friday. It's been a long week at work, so hooray for the weekend. I'm on a baking kick at the moment, and am planning on experimenting with some rustic sourdough bread which I will use to make paninis (and for snacking). The King Arthur flour blog has some great ideas (and is always a good read), and while I don't have a panini press I do have a cast iron ridged skillet. I'll just use an aluminum-wrapped brick to apply weight to the top of the sandwich.

Running plans for the weekend are still vague, but at the very least I want to get in a good 15 miles of hills on Sunday.

Amorous trees notwithstanding.

No comments: