Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Road to Boston (week 5 of 16)

Ok folks, I am declaring this a freeform week.  I am working in North Texas all this week and do not have the luxury of staying in a hotel on a college campus with lots of lovely paths for me to explore, nor the lovely icy weather in which to explore them.  No, I am staying in a hotel (nice though it is) that borders the Interstate, in a town that is not very runner friendly.  The last time I tried running up here, I was urged by several motorists to "get a car you bum".

If I ran here every day, my middle finger would be exhausted.  So I may have to resort to the dreadmill for at least some of my runs.

Anyway, the good news is that I finished out Jantastic with 100% and am now into Febulous.  This works along the same principles - you commit to doing a certain number of runs a week - but now you also have to specify how long each of your long runs will be during the month.

So I've set my goals at 5 runs a week, with long runs of 20 miles, 20 miles, 12 miles and 20 miles.  We'll see how that goes.

Saturday January 28th
Spent the day traveling back from Oregon via Las Vegas (and what a zoo that place is).  Needless to say, no running.  Did manage to finish "Miss Peregrine's Home for Unusual Children" (wonderful read) and got into Blake Crouch's "Run" (very creepy and disturbing, but a great page turner - perfect airplane fodder).  I love my Kindle.

Sunday January 29th
Nancy suggested I have a lie in with the boys as I'd been away all week and didn't get back until late.  Agreed and enjoyed a very pleasant morning before setting out on the road again.

Monday January 30th
On my travels again.  No run today.  Worked late, and then watched the documentary "Ride the Divide" back at the hotel, which left me whelmed.  Not over or under, just whelmed.  Nice music though.

Tuesday January 31st
Hit the dreadmill in the hotel tonight.  Listened to the "Mockingjay" audiobook on my ipod to distract me and could still only manage 2 miles before boredom set in.  Did the 2 miles in 12:26 (6:13 average), and then had a go on the stair climber which was marginally more interesting.  May have to venture back onto the mean streets tomorrow.  Oh, and I finished reading "Run", which really does make you want to hide in your hotel room and never come out!!!

Wednesday February 1st
Ok, I guess this week is designated speed week.  Hopped on the treadmill tonight with the goal of running 2 miles at a sub-6 pace.  That was before I realized the thing topped out at 10mph, thus rendering that goal impossible.  Still, finished the 2 miles in 12:06 (6:03 average), which was just about enough to finish me off too.  Cooled down with a few minutes in the company of my old friend the stair climber while listening to the adventures of Katniss Everdeen on the old ipod.  In non-running news, I watched "V for Vendetta" last night which has left me feeling ever so slightly rebellious, started a new book on the Kindle - "I Sing the Body Departed", and I think I'm going to go out for Indian tonight.  Mr random strikes again!!!

Thursday February 2nd
Tried to kill myself on the treadmill again tonight - 2 miles in 12:02 (6:01 average).  Ouch.  My legs are tighter than Scrooge at Christmas - am looking forward to reverting to longer slower runs again.  On the plus side, I'm headed back to Austin tomorrow.  On the downside, I'm off to Virginia on Monday.  But at least I get to enjoy the weekend at home.  In other news, the Indian I went out for last night was far and away the worst I've ever had, and just a bizarre experience all round.  Played it safe tonight and went to TGI Fridays, where I put away a cobb salad, chicken pasta and a huge slice of vanilla bean cheesecake.  Suitably sated, I am looking forward to a nice night in the company of Messers Miles Davis and Mr Kindle.

Oh, it's also worth mentioning that I have taken the opportunity of being away as a chance to catch up on some of the "Marathon Talk" podcast.  I am now only about a year behind!!!

Good luck to all running the Rocky Raccoon 100 this weekend.  Rather you than me.

2 comments:

K said...

I am really enjoying tagging along on your journeys.
I didn't realize one could wear out the middle finger, but I am happy you have recognized this hazard and are taking preventive measures!
Thanks for the reading suggestions. I aglow be investigating them further.
Happy running, Mark!

Mark said...

Yes, it is a constant worry. I must make sure to take care of it, so that many more Texas drivers get the benefit of it's wisdom.