Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Road to Boston (week 2 of 16)

I had some great runs last week, which left me with confidence rising going into week 2.  Boston (and Jantastic) has given me a stackload of motivation, which translates itself into consistency, which in turn should result in faster times and better running with less effort.

2011 was not a good running year for me, but 2012 is already shaping up to be a huge improvement.

DateSaturday January 7th
Planam - 20 miles hilly run
Outcome4:30am, 55F and foggy with 97% humidity.  Met James early and we ran downtown to meet up with Clea.  Had another go at the Stratford hills, then did a Jefferson loop, and then another reverse Jefferson.  This was one of those mornings when I felt great, and the hills seemed strangely easy. Which was bizarre since the humidity was high and I was sweating like a pig.  Did 20 miles in 2:48:20 (8:25 average) and felt like I could go a lot further and a lot harder if I needed to.  Wish that happened more often.

DateSunday January 8th
Planam - 7 miles
Outcome5:30am, 47F. Nice recovery run - 7 miles in 59:58 (8:34 pace).  I zipped up my man suit and ran 5 times this past week, so my Jantastic week 1 is at 100%.  Now I'm sitting here drinking hot chocolate and contemplating another.

  DateMonday January 9th
Planam - Nothing
Outcome

DateTuesday January 10th
Planam - 10 miles
Outcome5am, 42F, cold and windy.  Did not get up when my alarm went off at 4am because little Dylan was cuddled up next to me, and I dare any dad to give that up to go run.  But I did get up at 4:30 instead to go run 7.  Legs felt heavy today and it was like I was running in slow motion.  Still, I managed to squeak under an 8 minute mile by running 55:53 (7:59 average) without really pushing.  Pretty happy with that.

DateWednesday January 11th
Planam - 8 miles (aim to get under an hour)
Outcome5am, 34F, lovely and cold.  Legs still felt a little dead today, but apparently it didn't matter as I ran the 8 miles in 59:35 (7:26 pace).  Difficult to believe I ran a marathon at a faster pace than that.  James was my rabbit again.  Didn't catch him this morning - that boy was flying.

DateThursday January 12th
Planam - 8 miles
Outcome4:30am, 47F at start, dropping to 37F by the end, and really windy.  The cold front blew through this morning, bringing gusty winds with it.  Met Clea for the 8 mile Mueller loop, and we battled the winds for a very nice 1:05:03 (8:07 average).

DateFriday January 6th
PlanNothing
Outcome

No comments: