Monday, September 13, 2010

Liquid Running

When I was a kid, I occasionally read a comic featuring the world's only goalkeeping fish. A very bizarre concept to be sure (though somewhat more PC than many of the other unsavory characters in that particular publication), but with all the sucky suck suck humidity generated by the storms and torrential rains of the past week, Billy the Fish would probably have done a better job on Saturday's long run than me.

I've been feeling a bit run down for the last few days. Nancy's been sick all week, and I suspect I got a taste of the tail end of it. Whatever it was, I've definitely been dragging ass.

I also know I haven't been drinking enough, and I'm pretty sure I started Saturday's run dehydrated. If you look at a list of things not to do before a 20 miler, I could probably tick most of those boxes this week.

I know better than that, but sometimes real life gets in the way.

The run didn't start off too badly, but around mile 7 I suddenly got all light headed and dizzy. I decided not to do the Scenic Dr loop, and cut up Enfield to Exposition instead. I slowed down my pace and while I didn't feel too bad my heart rate wasn't coming down either.

I went back across 15th, up through UT and took Manor Rd back up to Mueller, then turned around and retraced my steps back down for a mile or so and waited for Clea. I figured it was a nasty uphill last few miles, and the least I could do was keep her company for the last bit.

So we did the last few miles together, and I think we were both glad to be done - she finished off with 20 miles, while I bagged 17 and lived to run another day :-)

Then back to real life.

Nancy's dad had a day pass on Saturday. He's being discharged from hospital on Tuesday to come live with us, so this was a trial run. He can't be left by himself because he can't walk and is still confused. I'm not sure how we're going to juggle that, work and the boys - it's going to be hard, but we'll figure it out.

Sunday I did an 8 mile Danish with Steve and Megan. They were going to add on another 4 miles, but I'd had enough of running this weekend so I just headed home. I ran well enough, but my legs were sore when I woke up on Sunday, which never happens. That definitely points to dehydration the day before.

I've had enough of this heat and humidity - I'm ready for the cooler weather.

The plan for this week is to drink a lot more (water), eat more, keep up the weights, do some hard midweek runs and try and tag the 20 again next Saturday (while praying for better running weather).

I may not make all of that, but I'll do my best.


olga said...

Speaking of fish, while doing my long runs this weekdn, I was planning to write a blog post named "Is it swimming or running?".

clea said...

It was super nasty in the humidity department the last few days. I think I am fighting off a virus too, so hopefully I'll be ready for another go at 20 by the weekend.

Hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can go to help.