Wednesday, September 1, 2010


I took delivery of the new bunk bed for the boys yesterday, and am very happy - it's a twin (single) on top with a full (double) below. We had considered getting one with twins on both top and bottom and a staircase that doubled as drawers. That was pretty cool, but with Nancy's dad increasingly looking like he's going to be coming to live with us we figured this one would give us more options when my parents come to stay.

So it's set up in our second bedroom which is now Gavin's room, and will eventually become Gavin and Dylan's room. I shared a room with my brother for a time while growing up - we had bunk beds, and I fondly remember all the fun times we had chatting away into the night and playing jokes on each other.

Last weekend I cleared out the room in preparation (hence no pictures on the wall) and moved the full bed that was in there to the third bedroom (which I also cleared out). I took advantage of the rooms being empty to vacuum and shampoo the carpets, and move furniture around.

Both rooms looked like cozy little havens, though now that Gavin has moved in I don't give it long before it becomes a warzone!!!

So the Gavinator claimed the top bunk (obviously), but I got to read him his bedtime story in the bottom bunk last night. I love this second bedroom - it's probably the coziest room in the house. And I love the smell of new wood from the bunks.

My next weekend project is going to be to design and build a trundle drawer to go beneath. They had one that went with the bed, but it was expensive and not very well built. But I'm a very cunning, patient and detail-oriented woodworker, and I know I could do a much better job. Plus I wanted to design a custom fit as I didn't want to have to move the bedside table every time I pulled the trundle out. I've modeled my design in 3D using Google Sketchup and have calculated all the materials required.

All I need now is to find the time to build it.

On the running front, the wonderful weather from the weekend has been savagely and brutally murdered by the heat and humidity demons. I did 7 miles yesterday morning, and keeping under an 8:30 pace was not nearly as effortless as it had been a few days earlier.

That may also be due to the fact that my new workout dvds arrived Monday. I tried out one of the 25 minute "beginner" workouts - it wasn't that hard, but there were some good power moves, "feel the burn" holds and combos that gave me a taste of the pain that awaits in the hour-long sweatfests.

I will try each of them out and post reviews.

Whatever it was, I was feeling a little tired and run down by yesterday evening. You know when sometimes your Garmin goes on the blink and you need to do that secret hardware reset thing? Well that was me yesterday - I needed a hardware reset. So I went to bed early last night, slept like a rock and woke up completely refreshed this morning.

Maybe I'll try one of the hour-long workouts tonight.

No comments: