Sunday, May 30, 2010

First Steps

Gavin and Dylan - the energizer bunnies

Dylan has been walking with the aid of a push toy for quite a while, but this weekend he took his first independent steps. Granted it was only two steps, and he plopped straight back down onto his butt afterwards but it's a start. And he was so proud of himself. We celebrated by sharing a big bowl of angel food cake with strawberries, whipped cream and dulce de leche ice cream. It was wonderful.

It's been a busy weekend. We have a house full of visitors, but they're not early risers so I still managed to get some good runs in. Yesterday morning I met some friends downtown for the Scenic Drive hillfest. It was a good run, but summer is definitely coming. I probably pushed a little too much on the early hills and definitely felt it in the latter half, but I need those kind of runs as I look to start upping my mileage again. I have a 50k coming up in less than two months in the heat of the Texas summertime, and I need to get some good miles and rhythm going.

This morning I ran by myself on the hills of Jester, Beauford and Courtyard. I didn't push it too hard, and enjoyed the beautiful blood-red sunrise and the wonderful views of the city below.

I was planning on running downtown again tomorrow morning, but I'd forgotten about the Cap Tex triathlon, so I think I'm going to head up to Brushy Creek instead. I haven't run there for a while, and there are some good hills to explore in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Tomorrow night I'm taking Gavin to see the WWE wrestling. He's all excited about it, and it's going to be a late night. I'm looking forward to having our "boys night out".

No comments: