Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bruce Bogtrotter

Bruce Bogtrotter is a classic underdog hero. For those of you who don't know, he's the kid who stole a slice of cake belonging to the mighty Trunchbull in Roald Dahl's Matilda. As punishment, Trunchbull forces him to eat an entire enormous chocolate cake in front of the whole school, which he does, thus elevating him to hero status amongst the other kids (as well as making her so mad she smashes the platter over his head).

I read that chapter to Gavin tonight and we laughed our heads off - definitely a kid's classic. I hammed it up at all the right bits, and he was right there in the story with me. Nancy said she could hear us hooting from the other end of the house.

Good times.

Of course, the consequences of eating an entire chocolate cake should by rights be something entirely different, and coincidentally that's exactly how I finished my weekend. It is every dad's right of passage to receive the baptism of puke from his offspring, and both my boys have honored me with this ritual, from slight eruptions to Exorcist-like gushing (Dylan memorably performed the latter in the middle of a busy restaurant once - you can bet all his future girlfriends will be hearing that story). Tonight it was Dylan's turn, and it never ceases to amaze me that after he's successfully identified and hit the target (usually me), he always grins.

But I think I got off easy. As the "tainted" parent, I got to take a shower with him while Nancy got stuck with cleanup. Hahaha.

And I got to rock him to sleep.

There was no running for me today as I've been in work since early this morning, so I got my weekend run in yesterday. I met Steve and Wesley down at Town Lake for some Scenic, and added on a circuit of Stratford by myself at the end. You can tell summer is coming because the mornings have suddenly become heavy and humid. But I felt strong, ran easily within myself, and enjoyed the satisfaction of finishing the run looking like I'd just stepped out of a swimming pool. That's a good sign.

Some more Bull Creek is on the cards for tomorrow evening, and I'm going to try and get 10 miles early Tuesday morning with some pace intervals thrown in for good measure.

Have a great week everyone.

No comments: