Thursday, November 12, 2009

Keeping Track

Now that Cactus Rose is done, it's time to switch priorities. I've been concentrating on hills for so long that I've neglected my speedwork (not that useful at Bandera), and my speed has suffered as a result. It's been a while since I ran a fast marathon, but I have a few races coming up where I have the potential to drop the hammer (a 50k and a marathon), so this past Tuesday I went back to the track to do some interval training.

It usually takes me a few weeks to get back into the mindset of track work, and I found myself struggling to stay motivated. But I know that these really paid dividends last year in the run up to Sunmart, so I'm going to persevere with them.

On Tuesday I switched between 800m and 400m intervals with 200m recovery in between, and next week I'll shift to either pyramids or straight mile intervals. My goal is to get my mile time to consistent 6:00 to 6:20 minutes (with the same 200m recovery) by December.

I would be happy with that.

No comments: