Monday, June 4, 2012

The Big Blue

Have you ever seen the Luc Besson movie "The Big Blue"?  It's an eclectic film set in the world of competitive free diving.  In one scene, Enzo (Jean Reno) has had a bad day, and Jacque (Jean-Mac Barr) sympathizes and tells him that sometimes "the sea doesn't want you".  I recalled that particular scene this past Saturday while slogging out my run on a muggy old morning because sometimes running feels exactly like that - there are days when the road just doesn't want you.

Here in Texas we call it summertime.

This blog has been quiet for a while, not because I have nothing to blog about, but because I've been so busy with other things.  But somewhere in the whirlwind of the last few weeks I signed up for another marathon - the BCS marathon in College Station.  I ran this last December in its first year and loved it - well organized, friendly, and a wonderful online community.  I'm glad to be going back to run it again.

That's two marathons I've signed up for since I quit running them in April!!!

We've also signed up with the YMCA and have been having a blast taking the boys swimming.  I've also been enjoying popping in for an early morning swim or workout after my midweek runs - it's a great way to start the day.

Travel for work also continues apace, especially since I got a promotion.  I now sport the title "Director of Data Integration", which is obviously something they confer on somebody who can't keep quiet and tends to be a wee bit bossy!!!

I just got back from a conference in Vegas ("back" is a relative term, as I'm writing this from a hotel room in North Dallas), where I managed to get front row seats to the Cirque du Soleil show.  That was just amazing, but you can keep Vegas - give me the mountains or remote woods any day.

Ho hum, I'm off to get some shut eye.  I discovered I can use my YMCA membership at the local Y, so I have an ambitious plan to get up early.  We'll see how that goes.

What I'm reading: The Devil in the White City.  An interesting snapshot in time of Chicago in the 1890s when it hosted the Worlds Fair.

No comments: