Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bread of the Dead

Bones in the bread

I've always loved the traditions, artwork and customs associated with Mexico's "Day of the Dead", and a few months ago I stumbled across this Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead) recipe from the Wild Yeast blog. I bookmarked it and decided to make it on Halloween.

Don't even think about it Mr Pumpkin Head

It took most of the day to make as there are three separate ferments and rises. I measured by weight, and it was a little wet (which caused my skull and bones decor to flatten out a bit too much) but it turned out great. It was delicious, with a subtle hint of citrus. Everyone set about it and pulled it apart.

I'm glad I got these pictures before the wolves descended.

The rum-infused apple crumble I made last night (and in which I partook of seconds) certainly had an effect because I slept through my alarm this morning. So no Double Danish run for me (good thing my White Rock training plan doesn't start until tomorrow). I did a single with Steve instead, and enjoyed a great start to my Sunday.

Which continued when Dylan fell asleep on the sofa with me this afternoon. We'd been trying to put him down for a nap all day, but whenever we did he just yelled and screamed. Eventually I got him to cuddle up to me and he just nodded off. It's been a while since he's done that, and these are truly the moments you live for as a dad.

I took full advantage of them, as you can see - that is a very contented smile.

A very happy daddy

This evening we took the boys trick-or-treating around the neighborhood. I swear they got enough candy to have them both climbing the walls for weeks!!!


Afterward, we all sat outside to hand out goodies to the other trick-or-treaters (and there were a lot of them this year) while raiding our own supplies. Both boys dug right in and enjoyed themselves.

At one point, we looked around and Dylan had partially escaped from his costume. The look he gave us was priceless, and resulted in the best photo of the night.


After we retired inside, Nancy got Dylan off to bed while I read Gavin one of the Halloween stories we'd picked up at the library this afternoon. After I'd confiscated the candy he'd hidden in his bed, we finally had a chance to sit down and enjoy a nice glass of port.

Happy Halloween everyone.

1 comment:

DavidH said...

Dylan has a bit of a "busted" look. :)

We also have that same stroller...but your doesn't look nearly as beat up as ours.