Saturday, October 16, 2010

Big Green and Running Mean

Green power - Gavin Hulk debuts for Halloween 2010

Another busy day that started super early - a 4am alarm call saw me meeting Clea down at Town Lake for our last long run before next week's Frankenthon marathon. 12 miles was on the cards - it was a deliciously chilly morning and the miles just kept ticking over. We met up with Steve and Meghan at mile 4, and ran a Jefferson loop with them which took us up to 12.

I'd always had it in my head that I was going to go for more, so when we got back to the rock I said farewell to Clea and carried on with Steve and Meghan to do a Town Lake loop out to IH-35. Steve and Meghan dropped off about 2 miles into the loop, but I had my sights set on 20 so I said my goodbyes and kept going. I accelerated and dropped my pace into the 7s, easing into the rhythm of the run and just enjoying my own company and the beautiful morning.

I got back to the rock at 19 miles, so I carried on going up Veterans and along Lake Austin to Exposition before turning around and finally hitting my 20 mile goal.

I averaged in the 8:20s and managed the whole run on 20oz of water and two pieces of toast I had before I left the house - amazing the difference the weather makes. The 2:49 I ran was about 10-20 minutes faster than I intend to run the first 20 miles of the Rocky Raccoon 100, so it was a good early indication that I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm looking forward to the marathon next week. My goal is to help Clea run a Boston Qualifying 3:45, and other than that just use it as a long training run. I ran it last year and it was a fun race, with a great race shirt and yummy pizza afterward.

But back to today. I got home and still had a bunch of energy to burn so I grabbed the mower and mowed the grass back and front, then headed up to the attic and pulled out our Halloween decorations.

Gavin with "Marcus the Carcus"

We had a lot of fun putting them up. We strung up a series of bones, pumpkins, witches, Vampires and other monsters.

I love Halloween.

I also found some silicon muffin molds I bought in the post-Halloween sales last year and stashed away. I'm currently working my way through the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion (the best baking book I've ever used), so I rustled up some wholewheat banana, walnut and chocolate chip muffins.

I think they turned out quite well. What do you think?


This afternoon we went shopping for Halloween costumes. We're still searching out one for Dylan, but Gavin chose to be the Hulk this year. I think he likes it.

I also took the opportunity to pick up a new pair of jeans. Since I've been mixing up all this running and cross training, none of my old ones fit any more!!!

No comments: