Sunday, August 10, 2008

I See the Boys of Summer

You know it's summertime in Texas when you start dreaming about water. Last night I had a dream about being in the middle of a hot and humid run and finding some wonderfully refreshing ice cold water. Oh bliss, I could almost taste the glorious H2O. The dream replayed itself all night long, the net result being I woke up before my alarm clock needing to pee.

This morning I had a great run at Kens. I treated it as an interval workout and ran hard between stopping at intersections to wait for the rest of the folks. When we got to the scenic overlook I hit my "nemesis" hill as usual only to find that it is no longer the challenge it once was. I was surprised when I got to the top and wasn't even out of breath - my legs used to be reduced to jelly at this point. When we got down to the flats, I asked if anyone wanted to run the trail in reverse and make it a double. Stephanie, Denver and Ben did so we said goodbye to the others and headed back up the hill. This return loop was a lot easier paced and I had a chance to visit a bit more with folks. We got back to the parking lot and it was time to hand over to Nancy. She'd driven over with Gavin and we were going to swap out. She'd been looking for a more challenging bike ride and I'd written out a 10 mile route for her around the Far West hills (rather her than me). I took the Gavster home for breakfast as she headed out.

Did my pushup challenge "end of week 4 exhaustion test" when I got home but could only manage 50 of them, which barely keeps me in the third column for week 5. The 100 still seems a long way off.

Made an Italian feast for supper tonight - a splendiferous lasagna. Layer upon layer of homemade noodle, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, ground turkey, mushroom, bell pepper, onion, garlic and marinara sauce with some homemade French crusty sourdough bread on the side. So wonderful I had to take pictures of it.

And finally, I have a huge weight off my shoulders. Work pressures? Financial woes? Trouble at home? No, I just got a long overdue haircut. I've been needing one for a good month now and kept putting it off, but I finally gave in and got my summer trim. Even the hairdresser commented that I hadn't had my hair cut in a while. By the end there was enough hair on the floor to assemble a small dog. Feel much tidier and more presentable now.

Finally finally, congratulations to fellow Welshie Nicole Cooke - the female Lance Armstrong - for securing Britain's first gold medal in the womens cycling road race.

No comments: