Friday, February 10, 2012

Richmond

So I just got back from a business trip to Richmond, VA.  Never been there before, and my perception was a little colored by Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta novels - I expected to see serial killers lurking behind every pillar at the airport!!!

Thankfully that was not the case (or if it was, I didn't spot them).  Everyone I met was super nice, and it was a really quaint, historic little town.  I was lucky to be teaching a class with a good friend I don't see too often, so it was much more fun to walk around downtown and explore the city together while catching up.  Also got to sample a few of the local brews, which was great.

On the other side, this was the third week in a row I'd been on the road, and I was missing Nancy and the boys.  Plus it's tough to be "on" for 8+ hours a day 3 weeks straight, so I was mentally tired when I got back into Austin around midnight last night.

The good news is that I'm not traveling again for another few weeks.  My next trip is to Little Rock, AR at the end of the month.  I ran the Little Rock marathon a few years ago, and it remains one of my favorite races.  And my trip just happens to coincide with the date of this year's marathon.

So I checked out the website.

Unfortunately, the race is sold out.  Oh well, would have been fun, but probably just as well.  Don't really need to be running a marathon a month out from Boston.

Here's some photos I took wandering around downtown Richmond yesterday lunchtime.

The Virginia State capitol.  What, no dome?

I'm not sure what this building is, but I loved the architecture.

This was the home of General Robert E. Lee.  If only walls could talk!!!

No comments: