Saturday, July 17, 2010

Goblin Hunting in Wimberley

"Damn, daddy. There must be 100s of them"!!!
Gavin finds a "goblin hole" in his search for goblins

We took a trip to Wimberley today. I'd never been there before and it was very quaint. Downtown was set out like a village square with lots of quirky little sculptures decorating the pathways. We had lunch at an outdoor cafe, pottered about and then went to explore the woods around Cypress Creek. I explained to Gavin that cracks in trees are really secret entrances to the goblin underworld, and soon we found an old hollowed out tree that he was convinced was their front door. We set out to find evidence of goblins while I continued to embellish the story. I even provided a name for the goblin king - "Fin Tin the Goblin King Ole Ole Biscuit Barrel" (yes, I stole that last bit from Monty Python).

We had a great time - here are some more pictures.

The flowerpot man

Exploring the woods by Cypress Creek

It's good to be a gangster

It's been a funny old week running-wise. On Monday I ran trail hill repeats and did ok on what was a really hot afternoon. Tuesday morning I ran 10 road miles and had a lousy run - super humid, no energy, little motivation. Then Thursday I did a hilly run with legs super sore from a hard weights session yet felt fantastic and ran really well.

This morning I did 14 miles and again felt pretty good.

Go figure.

On the reading front, I finished The Last Stand - an entertaining story of bravery, cowardice, incompetence and magnificent moustaches. I swapped it out for Stieg Larsson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Mil Millington's Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About.

Did I ever mention I love the Austin library?

No comments: