Sunday, June 26, 2011

San Antonio Stroll: Week 4 of 23

It's been a tough week, with travel and long hours at work cutting into my training plans. At least I'll be at home this week, so I'll have less excuses. Coming up this week, I notice I've started to add in some midweek 10 milers. Whatever happens on race day, at least I won't be able to claim I don't have a base.

On the other hand, the 6:50 treadmill run this week made me wonder how I could possibly hold on to that pace for 26.2 miles. I'm wondering if maybe the sub-3 goal is a little out of my range. Oh well, I'll still aim for it and see how it plays out.

Saturday
Required Mileage    Required Pace
14 miles8:30 to 9:00
Actual Mileage    Actual Time/Pace
0 milesN/A

Notes: Ah, real life intervenes. Had to work today, and if I don't make my early morning run I'm not going to carve out any time later in the day. No worries - we're that far out from San Antonio that missing this run doesn't matter that much.


Sunday
Required Mileage    Required Pace
7 miles7:59 to 8:30
Actual Mileage    Actual Time/Pace
7 miles58:40 (8:23 pace)

Notes: 5:30am, 78F and really humid. Felt good, and enjoyed the run.  Maybe I'm acclimatizing to the heat (or maybe that's just wishful thinking).  Thought we were booking it at one point, but turns out we were only doing 8:23 pace.  Go figure :-)


Monday
Required Mileage    Required Pace
4 miles7:42 to 8:10
Actual Mileage    Actual Time/Pace
4 milesNo idea

Notes: 6:15pm, 102F. Met up with some buddies I haven't seen in a while to run the trails at Bull Creek. It was good to catch up, though it was brutally hot, especially on the ridge.  I didn't take my Garmin, and didn't even start my watch - just enjoyed the run.  I led the way, and felt like I pushed it at some points, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.  Wore my camelbak, which I don't really like that much because I can't pour water over my head to cool off.  We did cool off afterwards with a few beers and a good old chin wag though.  Good times,.


Tuesday
Required Mileage    Required Pace
10 miles7:59 to 9:00
Actual Mileage    Actual Time/Pace
10 miles1:26:22 (8:38 pace)

Notes: 4:20am, 80F and humid enough to drown a cat.  Embraced the idea of base building this morning, and slowed the pace down.  Am very proud of my self restraint, and found a nice little rhythm I could zone out into.  First midweek 10 miler in a while, felt good.  Drenched by the end - shoes and socks felt (and sounded) like I'd been jumping in puddles.  Note to self - 10 miles seems to be about the upper limit of the "one handheld bottle" range in this weather.


Wednesday
Required Mileage    Required Pace
4 miles7:42 to 8:10
Actual Mileage    Actual Time/Pace
10 miles1:29:06 (8:54 pace)

Notes: 4:30am, 75F and humid.  Ok, so I switched my days around (and added on a few extra few miles).  As Clea said, "I can't believe you're cheating on your own plan"!!!.  Yes, I will admit it - I am a blatant tinkerer (though I prefer the term "personalizing" - haha).  I will run 4 tomorrow instead of 8, but it's always good to have company for these early morning runs, and as Clea had 10 on the schedule for today, it made sense to jump on in.  Nice run, easy pace, good base building, lots of conversation, happy days.  Still drenched by the end, with soggy shoes and socks - summer in Texas.


Thursday
Required Mileage    Required Pace
8 miles7:59 to 9:00
Actual Mileage    Actual Time/Pace
0 milesN/A

Notes: Didn't happen. Was up working on an emergency project until 2am. Glad I switched the mileage around and did 10 for the last two days. Maybe I'll do 4 tomorrow morning.


Friday
Rest Day

2 comments:

LK said...

The heat is bad right now for running performance. I'm running my worst times ever splits on the trails right now--I know all my best splits to every intersection, rock, tree, et al. And, this is on easy days. I think the rain this past week added a splash of humidity to the air. It'll come around for you before you know it!

Mark said...

Just look on the bright side, survive the heat and humidity and we'll all be running ninjas when the cooler weather comes around :-)